Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Meteorology Department, Melbourne Uni

From Ian Allison

I first met Uwe Radok in 1966 when he gave a short optional unit (7 lectures with copious hand-out notes) on introductory meteorology as part of my final year physics course at Melbourne University. Early the next year I joined his Meteorology Department to undertake, initially, an Honours degree and eventually other higher degrees. I was, I suspect, attracted more by the skis on the roof of the Departmental vehicle than by Uwe’s lectures on atmospheric dynamics!

As a prospective honours student who had not taken a full formal undergraduate course in Meteorology I had to first self-study (with subterfuge help from other graduate students) from the text “Dynamical and Physical Meteorology” by Haltiner and Martin, and then sit a one-person Uwe-supervised examination before admission to the Department. To a brand-new graduate Uwe (or “the Doc” as he was universally known) was a strict and demanding master. He certainly taught me the scientific rigour that I still rely on (much to the chagrin of some present-day students). But it didn’t take all that long to realise that beneath the gruff exterior, and sometimes short temper, was a very warm person who truly wanted to help people and to foster recruits to the science that he loved.

Uwe continued to share his wisdom and advice over many years and many adventures. He was an enthusiastic correspondent when I made my first trip to the Antarctic; he recruited me to the Carstensz Glaciers Expedition to the equatorial glaciers of New Guinea and shared our excitement during that trip (he was particularly delighted to approve the petty cash voucher for beads that I purchased to trade with our native porters); and most importantly, he taught me the importance of international collaboration in global science, and introduced me to a world where I could participate in that collaboration.

Uwe Radok was never a formal supervisor or advisor to any of the degrees that I completed. But I regard him as my one true mentor in science, and as the person who, more than anyone, helped me get to where I have. Farewell and thank you Uwe.

1 comment:

  1. There is a history of the Met department written by Uwe and dedicated to Anita at
    http://web.earthsci.unimelb.edu.au/Joyce/history/Radok.pdf
    The introduction is typical of the sayings dad liked to quote "Old men forget, but some write things down before they do"

    ReplyDelete